Server virtualization solution
Virtualization is not only the underlying technology of cloud computing, but it also enables organizations of all sizes to improve in terms of flexibility and cost control. For example, through server consolidation, multiple servers are merged as virtual machines, so that one physical server can take on the work of multiple servers. In addition, virtualized data centers simplify management and use resources efficiently. Virtualization technology currently focuses on server virtualization, which provides multiple independent operating systems on a single host computer. In addition to virtualizing a single physical computer, VMware vSphere can be used to build an entire virtual infrastructure that scales to thousands of interconnected physical computers and storage devices. Through virtualization, you can dynamically move resources and processing power and allocate hardware resources. There is no need to permanently allocate server, storage or network bandwidth to each application.
In addition to virtualizing a single physical computer, VMware vSphere can be used to build an entire virtual infrastructure that scales to thousands of interconnected physical computers and storage devices. Through virtualization, you can dynamically move resources and processing power and allocate hardware resources. There is no need to permanently allocate server, storage or network bandwidth to each application.
This solution consists of HP high-performance servers plus VMware virtual software. The physical devices involved in the overall architecture are as follows:
1. Physical server HP DL580 G7 number 6
2. Storage Device The HP EVA8400 stores the storage space used for virtual machines and backups.
3. Two fiber switches (each need to provide at least 7 available SFP modules)
4. Network switch 2 (48 ports) or 3 (24 ports). (The total number of network ports needs to provide at least 42 available Gigabit electrical ports)
Using VMware ESX virtualization software to virtualize the DL580 server into multiple basic application platforms, the number and performance of these basic application platforms can be changed as needed. The virtual application platform can play the following two roles in practice:
1. With the powerful performance of the HP DL580 server, you can divide multiple virtual machines and assign a virtualized server to each application. You can install different operating systems such as Linux, Solaris, and Windows as needed. Software configuration and optimization, etc.
2. Because the HP DL580 is one of the representative models of multi-channel multi-core servers, advanced technology, powerful performance, and low price, many projects can be carried out at a faster speed.
Vmware virtualization software mainly includes the following parts:
A server that installs the VMware vSphere 5.1 operating system as a virtual machine running carrier.
A virtual machine or server with VCenter software installed.
Also known as vSwitch, it is a virtual device that virtualizes virtualization software and has some functions of physical network switches.
Also known as Datastore, virtualization software uses a logical way to abstract physical memory layers from virtual machines. Data storage is divided into two types, local data storage and networked data storage. The local datastore can be an internal hard drive located inside the ESXi host or an external storage system located outside the host and connected directly to the host through a protocol such as SAS or SATA. A networked data store consists of an external storage system that the ESXi host uses to remotely store virtual machine files. Typically, hosts access these systems through a high speed memory network. Network storage devices will be shared. The data store on the network storage device can be accessed by multiple hosts simultaneously.